Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Never Mind My Obscene Voice Mails

In 2008, what is now referred to as "Sachsgate" got in the way of one of my most enduring obsessions: Simon Amstell's reign on Nevermind the Buzzcocks. After Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross left some unsavoury messages on Andrew Sach's voicemail, (one pertaining to Brand's trysts with his burlesque-dancing granddaughter) an explosion of discontent went off in the British media world- even Gordon Brown spoke out against this act of telephone abuse.

I don't particularly care about Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand, but after this tsunami of craziness washed over the BBC I found out that a prerecorded episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, in which Russell Brand was a guest, had been cancelled from BBC's schedule. I had been cheated from my precious last moments with Simon Amstell as the host of this irreverent pop quiz show.

"DAMN YOU BBC!!!!!!!!" (I thought to myself, shaking my fists towards the sky as rain pelted down on my face. Well, not really, I think I ate some cake to make me feel better)

Thanks to the glory of the interwebz, those moments have been restored.



2 comments:

  1. i'm watching this at work, and laughing like a crazy person in my own desk row. and whispering to myself "THERE AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE AN S CLUB PARTY!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sss cluuuuub...gonna show you hoooowww...(everybody get down tonight)"
    (can't believe i those lyrics are still burned into my brain)

    ReplyDelete